Re: [OM] Hints for Kodan Technical Pan film?

Subject: Re: [OM] Hints for Kodan Technical Pan film?
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 20:45:05 -0800
Klaus Elmquist Nielsen wrote:
Hi all,

I plan to try the Kodak Technical Pan film soon with my OM gear.
For TOPE 13, of cause. :-)

I have read that it is a bit picky with exposure. Any hints here, both
on exposure and more generally on this film? It is more picky than EIR?

It is quite different from most B&W films. By nature it is very high contrast, and if you want to get low- to average-contrast results you'll need to be use low-contrast developers and be careful with the agitation or else you'll get turbulent areas where the contrast goes up.

Personally, though, I *like* it as a high-contrast film. Exposed at EI 400 and developed in T-MAX developer, it is even pickier about exposure, because of the higher contrast and steeper curve, but it is still very sharp and fine-grained. See e.g.

http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/CandyCane.jpg or
http://www.phred.org/~josh/photo/20011227.jpg

I plan to let a lab develop the film for me, as I don't have a darkroom. :)

No need for a darkroom, spool it up in a changing bag and develop it in the kitchen.

It's been nearly two years since I had a darkroom available, a drought that's finally breaking now that I'm the photo instructor at a local public school. (I went in asking if they could use some darkroom equipment, they said they'd love to have it if I could teach the kids to use it.)

--
Joshua Putnam, Agent
Putnam Financial Services