Re: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] No more big SUV (going green, sort of)
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 22:21:49 -0400

> Why and SUV, most minivans have far more space if space is an issue.  We
> thought of an SUV but the Honda Odyssey kicked all of them by far for
> interenal space (and more modular for seating).  And I can tow pretty much
> the same as most SUVs with the oil and tranny cooler (using less gas too).
>
> My mind is that SUVs are really not necessary for most people.  SUVs are
> just too expensive to run.  Maybe a flame war now?  Who else guzzles gas
on
> this list...chug-a-lug chug-a-lug
>
> ;-)  hahahaha

I used to drive a Ford Windstar van, when the family size required it. Now I
drive a GM Tracker, because I do quite a bit of woods driving (hunting,
photography, etc), and need the four wheel drive, and the clearance of the
short narrow wheel base. I actually use my 4 wheel drive off road, and for
those who think its not needed where I go, I'd invite them to follow me for
a day or two in their mini-van or car  :-) It is also very nice when your
facing wading 8 to 12 inches of sticky snow in getting out of the driveway.
The ridiculous part is, the Tracker is classed a SUV, so now I'm one of the
bad guys, even though it gives 30 mpg, highway summertime driving
conditions, which is almost exactly what the Windstar gave, and about what
some cars give too. Before someone says 30 mgp is unrealistic, remember that
is for a Canadian (Imperial) gallon, not one of those little gallons the
Americans use  :-)  It is based on my own records last summer in driving to
Toronto and back (14 hour drive one way), where you have to drive at least
120 kms/hr to keep from getting run over by those crazy Ontario drivers on
the 401, not an easy run for a little 4 cyl. :-)
OM content - not needed when discussing SUV's   ;-)
Wayne