Re: [OM] free, etc. Batteries (old)

Subject: Re: [OM] free, etc. Batteries (old)
From: Bernard FRANGOULIS <bernard.frangoulis@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:15:50 +0100

John Hermanson exclaimed:
"VAT appears to be a real killer.  I just shipped a repaired 4T back to
France, the owner had to pay VAT of $96 based on the repair charge.  ouch"
VAT itself is only (!) 21 0n France so unless your repair was very
expensive...

They appplied 22.6 VAT on the repair charge plus shipping fees (i.e. 60 Euro VAT). To the VAT they added a fixed "customs clearance" tax, plus "filing charges", plus various bits and taxes... Total 96 Euro.

As a guy from the "customs clearing" company told me on the phone "Don't worry, the government won't lose anything in the deal".

Bernard