RE: [OM] [OT] unemployment blues again...

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] unemployment blues again...
From: "John Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 11:13:18 +1100
Welcome to the 'club' George. Oz has the same malaise. Manufacturing
industry in our country has experienced the acceleration in this problem for
many years. I personally suffered as we went into an engineering
manufacturing business in 1964 which seemed to be the year that started the
rot and by 1984 when we sold out, 'Made in Australia' signs were virtually
non-existant. We were making machine parts for coal mining equipment and
coal is our country's top export. It seems that governments of affluent
western countries have decreed that service industries is the direction to
take. I often think that we ought to have import tariffs based on the
differential in hourly rates between our country and the exporting one. And
you'll note that a lot of the compauies reflected in your little piece are
large multi-nationals many of which were originally 'born in the USA'.

And that's my two cent's worth.

John (who's now rubbing that sore nerve).