Re: [OM] unemployment blues again...

Subject: Re: [OM] unemployment blues again...
From: "Michael" <moc63@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 08:33:16 +1100
----- Original Message -----
From: "George M. Anderson" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 5:01 AM
Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] unemployment blues again...

> Here's a little ironic commentary on the unemployment blues I just came
> across.
>
> Joe Smith started his day early having set his (MADE IN JAPAN) alarm clock
> for 6 a.m. While his (MADE IN CHINA) coffeepot was perking his (COLUMBIAN)
> coffee, he shaved with his (MADE IN HONG KONG) electric razor. He put on a
> (MADE IN SRI LANKA) dress shirt, (MADE IN SINGAPORE) designer jeans and
> (MADE IN KOREA) tennis shoes. After cooking his breakfast in his new (MADE
> IN INDIA) electric skillet, he sat down with his (MADE IN MEXICO) PDA to
> plan his day. After setting his (MADE IN TAIWAN) watch to his (MADE IN
> CHINA) radio he got into his (MADE IN GERMANY) car, riding on (MADE IN
> ITALY) tires and continued his thus far fruitless search for a good paying
> AMERICAN job. At the end of yet another discouraging day, Joe decided to
try
> to relax for a while. He put on his (MADE IN BRAZIL) sandals, poured
himself
> a glass of (FRENCH) wine, turned on his (MADE IN INDONESIA) TV, watched
the
> news delivered by the (CANADIAN) anchorman and then wondered why he can't
> find a good paying job in.....AMERICA..... >

Isn't all this so true.  I am in Sydney, Australia and all the above (and
more) applies here.  Where have all the manufacturing jobs gone?  Even in
the countries mentioned, there is high unemployment.  Is it to much
automation or slave labour or what?  Is this the price to pay for moving
from the Industrial Revolution to the "what ever the next revolution" is?

I am very, very lucky.  I still have the same employer I had the day I left
school (back in 1967) and I still enjoy my job.

Michael.