Re: [OM] Cosina Voigtlander 40/2 for OM

Subject: Re: [OM] Cosina Voigtlander 40/2 for OM
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:20:40 -0800
Richard, I thought I saw you on the CV list...

I've read a couple reviews of the SLR 40/2.0 lens, pretty favorable. I've
read more reviews of the CV rangefinder lenses, almost all of them are held
in very high regard.

While it is Cosina, it seems these lenses are a 'boutique' operation driven
by the personal interest of the Cosina company president, a "Mr. Kobayashi".
In large part due to his innovations in rangefinders he's fueled a revival
of interest in rangefinder cameras for photographers who can't quite justify
the prices Leica charges for bodies and lenses... and he's offered a couple
of lenses that nobody has ever at any price point. The construction quality
and design of the lenses is reported as very very good... the bodies suffer
somewhat in the areas where they share heritage with the 'private label'
SLR's they are derived from, but the body unique features e.g. the
rangefinder itself, is reviewed as very good, on par with Leica and better
in some circumstances.

I think the CV SLR 40/2 will be a very good lens, and if you get one we'll
expect some review and example pictures. I don't have the Zuiko 40/2.0 and I
can't see why the command the high prices they do... but if you do, you're
well qualified to do a real comparison test. I'm sure both the OM list and
the CV list will find it very interesting!
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...