Re: [OM] contrast filters in b & w photography

Subject: Re: [OM] contrast filters in b & w photography
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:49:35 +0000
I can't see any reason why filters should work differently with bw positive film as with bw negative film. After all, filters work just the same for colour positive and negative films. Maybe that's an oversimplification but it's the way it seems to me.

If I can find somewhere that sells it and somewhere that develops it in the UK I'm going to have to try some of this Scala - I've seen some really great results from it, and it would suit me fine not having to worry about printing quality.

Roger

John Hudson wrote:

Will a yellow filter on the lens achieve the same visual end result with
black and white transparency film [in this case Agfa Scala] as it will with
black and white negative film, namely darkening a blue sky and providing a
greater degree of contrast with the white clouds than would otherwise be the
case if no filter was used?

Any tips and advice on using contrast filters with Agfa Scala will be
appreciated.

I have a couple of rolls of Scala and given the cost of the film and the
cost of processing I want to minimise the degree of experimentation with
contrast filters!

John Hudson