Re: [OM] OT --laid off :(

Subject: Re: [OM] OT --laid off :(
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 23:38:46 -0800
My sympathy and best wishes for these troubles to be the door to new opportunities to you, Tim, and to all those who wrote about their similar problems.

I once fired a guy after many hours spent by me and others trying to teach him how to do the job. In the end, he just wasn't able to perform even up to the minimum needed. Really nice guy with a stay at home wife and 2 little kids. I just hated telling him he was just in the wrong job (not as much as he hated hearing it), and would have to go. During the tears and in trying to give him some support, I said "This is probably the best thing to happen to you.", or some such. After the words left my mouth, I thought about what trite crap they were and how foolish I was to say them. A few years later, I found out he was the head of a County School District. He'd gotten a job where his talents lay and moved up rapidly.

Without suggesting any of you were in the wrong job, or not doing it well, I wish all of you as good an outcome.

Moose

Tim Chakravorty wrote:

Zuiks,

I just got "surplussed" this evening. Its not a good feeling at all. I am
feeling a
little low and I suppose I will now have more time to play with my Zuikos.
Its not a good time to be working for the airline industry.