[OM] Minolta Dimage Scan Speed

Subject: [OM] Minolta Dimage Scan Speed
From: "Anthony Collins" <Liz.Tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 23:22:20 -0000
Digital Depot in UK are selling off the remaining stocks of these with a SCSI
board for 159 pounds so I was unable to resist ordering one to replace my
Microtek 1800u. Have I made a dreadful mistake? I was saving up for the new III
model, but there didn't seem to be too much difference in the quality of the
scans, and the Speed seems to have less to go wrong, No AF and no dust/scratch
removal, but as far as the latter goes I don't envisage scanning millions of
slides so will continue using the clone tool.

To introduce myself, I have dug out my old OM10 since getting into digital with
an Oly2040. This was bought to do the photographs to accompany an article for a
bicycling magazine and has been very good within its obvious limitations. With
my budget the extremes of focal length are not available digitally which is
where the OM10 comes in. One of the most annoying elements of consumer digitals
is not having control of when the shutter will fire, especially if you are
shooting action The upside is that using the motordrive costs nothing and you
can blast away all day just keeping the good frames. This afternoon was spent
shooting little gulls as they swooped down for bread. 990ictures of empty sky
and one crystal clear looking right into the lense. I could never have used
film in such a profligate way!

Lenswise I have tested negative for Zuikoholism having only the standard 50/1.8
and tamron 28 and 75-150 plus screw on converters bought for the 2040, A-200
1.5x and Optex 2x. A video lens which is better than it ought to be for a 10
pound car boot sale purchase. Fitted to the 75-150 both of these operate withot
loss of stops.

Tony Collins