Re: [OM] Minolta Dimage Scan Speed

Subject: Re: [OM] Minolta Dimage Scan Speed
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:48:03 -0800

On Saturday, January 11, 2003, at 03:22 PM, Anthony Collins wrote:

Digital Depot in UK are selling off the remaining stocks of these with a SCSI board for 159 pounds so I was unable to resist ordering one to replace my Microtek 1800u. Have I made a dreadful mistake? I was saving up for the new III model, but there didn't seem to be too much difference in the quality of the scans, and the Speed seems to have less to go wrong, No AF and no dust/scratch removal, but as far as the latter goes I don't envisage scanning millions of slides so will continue using the clone tool.

I had one of those for a while. It uses depth of field instead of an autofocus mechanism. It was reasonably sharp. I did not use it much because it had problems capturing the wide contrast range of color slides. I would recommend shooting color negative film with it. Decent software considering the price. No problems with it. I would recommend highly that you get the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 software package which can be had through Amazon.com for $35 with all rebates. The dust and scratch filter is awsome and makes the clone tool used for the purpose a crude tool indeed. I had heard there were some SCSI problems with the supplied board if you have a PC. I had no problems with the built in SCSI in my Mac. Try it and see.