Re: [OM] Re: Vuescan, an HP S20, and me

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Vuescan, an HP S20, and me
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2003 00:58:17 -0800
Richard F. Man wrote:

VS has a problem scanning large body of solid color and always produces noisy pattern.

On your Nik*n, not on my Can*n. I've never had a pattern of any kind on slide or negative. I don't know if effects like this are equipment specific, operating environment sensitive or what, but it seems to me to be important to give specific details when commenting on cross-hardware platform software performance. A flat statement that like this may mislead others. Would you like someone to try one of your compilers on a hardware platform or in a software environment where it doesn't run properly, then make generic posts about its failings without specifying the conditions under which it was tested?

"Using Scanner X on Computer Y with relevant features a, b, c..., under Operating System Z.13, at x,xxx dpi I find VS has a problem scanning large bodies of solid color and always produces noisy patterns." is an accurate, informative and potentially useful piece of information. Sending that info on to support@xxxxxxxxxxx would be quite useful as well, as he is amazingly responsive, producing many updates to specific hareware and Operating system specific problems. Which reminds me, do you have the latest version?

Not trying to push something on you. Trying to support a piece of software and a supplier that provide me with really first class performance and service. Hamrick is a one man shop making a living from creating and maintaining this software.

Moose