Re: [OM] Re: Vuescan, an HP S20, and me

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Vuescan, an HP S20, and me
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 22:35:47 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "IanG" <I@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Firewire /USB 2 speeds are not much different I'm told. I'm running 3 x
fast
> SCSI hard drives and it makes a VERY real difference in performance
putting
> scratch files / data / applications on different drives.... up to twice as
> fast operating across 2 or 3 drives. W2K is faster than XP (although can
be
> a pig to setup) but not as reliable (although I hesitate to use
'Microshaft'
> and 'reliable' in the same message).

It is not the problem of interface speed, since data scanning speed is much
slower, think about 60MB of data in 40 second (Nikon LS4000 claimed max
scanning speed).

> Processor speed is not as important as lots of memory and fast fast fast
> fast hard drives.

No, think about saving 60MB of data in 29s (Vuescan post processing time)
and most people have 512MB RAM and above, the processor speed is the most
important factor. Even my old 15GB DMA100 hard disk is able to provide over
20MB/second sustained date rate.

> Is there any good reason to use Vuescan instead of the Nikon software?
I've
> not tried it but the Nikon stuff seems adequate - I just use standard
> settings and adjust in PS7

NikonScan does not provide film table and Vuescan have selectable film table
which although not perfect but better than nothing. See below for some
example scans of two software, you have to download them and do some level
adjustment before the look "good", the raw scan is always poor. You will see
Vuescan is better for GPX160 since the film itself is warm biased.

http://www.accura.com.hk/scan.htm

C.H.Ling