Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin

Subject: Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 10:09:30 -0600

From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

The current LCD has contrast ratio of 500:1 and I heard normal monitor will
be around 700:1, the plasma display is claimed up to 3000:1. If my
interpertation is right, a D-range of "2" is equivalent to 100 and "3" is
1000, 3.6 will be 4000. It is generally agreed that D-Max of 3.6 is fine for
most slides, but of course some claimed the slide's density can be up to
D-Max of 4.0.

On the other hand you are totally right about the monitor display, it is
much better than print when talking about dynamic range and it is more close
to slide but never as good.

I guess it's been a while since I looked at contrast ratios for modern monitors. I haven't gone digital as yet although I have sold off all but three of my conventional lenses. However, it has long been my ultimate goal to marry my camera to my computer. Although I can go for a good prosumer dc now---including the Olympus E20N, I rather wait for a solid professional camera.

The E20N appears very tempting indeed. However, it doesn't go wider than 28mm (actually 7mm). I need a camera to be able to get down to at least 24mm, preferably 21/20mm before it gets serious consideration as a system camera. Furthermore, the E20N can't correct for the color temperature of conventional US household bulbs. OTOH, the ability to go to 420mm F2.8 (actually 105mm) is absolutely incredible. This puts one right at entry level bird photography focal lengths.

Perhaps the upcoming Kodak/Olympus dc will address my druthers. In the meantime, I still have a lot of film to consume.

John