Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin

Subject: Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 23:44:00 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Yes, I am talking about the contrast of the transparency image itself.  I
am
> reiterating results discussed in the now defunct Modern Photography mag,
> Popular Photography and several photo books.  These sources indicated that
> contrast in printed images, because it was a reflected medium, was limited
> to at most about 100:1.  Contrast in transparencies, because it is a
> translucent medium, could range as high as 400:1.  In fact, because
computer
> monitors can be made to have contrast ratios of 300:1 or even 400:1,
digital
> photography itself is said to be more faithful to transparencies over
> prints.
>
> John

The current LCD has contrast ratio of 500:1 and I heard normal monitor will
be around 700:1, the plasma display is claimed up to 3000:1. If my
interpertation is right, a D-range of "2" is equivalent to 100 and "3" is
1000, 3.6 will be 4000. It is generally agreed that D-Max of 3.6 is fine for
most slides, but of course some claimed the slide's density can be up to
D-Max of 4.0.

On the other hand you are totally right about the monitor display, it is
much better than print when talking about dynamic range and it is more close
to slide but never as good.

C.H.Ling