Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin

Subject: Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 09:22:18 -0600
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Prosper" <japrosper@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> There is a fourth reason why transparencies are preferred to color
> negatives: contrast.  In a properly executed print, the contrast ratio
> between the brightest and darkest areas of the image are supposedly at
most
> 100:1.  With transparencies, this contrast ratio soars to 400:1!  I have
> long heard transparency enthusiasts brag about the "bottomless" blacks
> achievable with their medium of choice but virtually impossible with
prints.
>   The latitude with transparencies is much tighter, but the derived
contrast
> is supposedly what makes it all worthwhile.
>
> John

Are you talking about transparency itself? I think the contrast ratio is
4000:1 not 400:1.

Yes, I am talking about the contrast of the transparency image itself. I am reiterating results discussed in the now defunct Modern Photography mag, Popular Photography and several photo books. These sources indicated that contrast in printed images, because it was a reflected medium, was limited to at most about 100:1. Contrast in transparencies, because it is a translucent medium, could range as high as 400:1. In fact, because computer monitors can be made to have contrast ratios of 300:1 or even 400:1, digital photography itself is said to be more faithful to transparencies over prints.

John