Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin

Subject: Re: [OM] How many pixels in a 35mm film image - Pop Photo weighsin
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 09:05:56 -0400
> What do you mean by "accurate"? With slide film, one can compare the
> scanned image to the slide itself to determine the 'accuracy' of the
> scan, but that is simply redefining the source for comparison from the
> original scene to the slide.
> Moose

I've been wondering about this as well, as I'm just getting started in this
experience of scanning. Do I adjust for accuracy to the print, which is what
the photo finisher, or worse, the printing machine, thought it should be? Or
do I adjust for how the slide film "interpreted" the scene, which is
dependent on the saturation, etc., of the film used? Or do I adjust for how
I remember the scene? Or how it should have been had a less or more
saturated (read more accurate, whatever that is)  film been used? Or do I
just go ahead and make a picture I like, and forget about any supposed
accuracy?
Here is one I battled with, where 2 different cameras and 2 different films
were used to make 3 photographs of the same scene. I quit trying to make
them match exactly when it dawned on me they were all an interpretation of
what was constantly changing light conditions anyways.
http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/waynecul/gallery/sunsetovenhead.html
(you'll have to clink the link "throwing rocks" below the first picture to
see the other 2)
Wayne