[OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (LONG)

Subject: [OM] Re: Dipping our Toe Into Digital (LONG)
From: Klaus Elmquist Nielsen <klaus.elmquist@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 10:13:42 +0100
Hi all,

At Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:53:04 -0500 Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>It may be true that if you were using each frame to its utmost, but the human
>eye cannot discern all
> that detail at 24 frames per second. It would appear that MPEG formats do a
> pretty darn good job of
> containing as much "useful" information as is needed.

A while back I was watching TV with my ex girlfriend. She has been working for
years with
drum scanners and has a very good eye for images. She pointed out that in some
scenes
when the camera was moving there are some noise appearing. Much like small
"dancing"
squares (kind apologies for my english here). It takes a little to notice it.
But it
is there. So in fact, while MPEG is quite good, it it shows its limitations to
the
trained eye.

Cheers,
Klaus