Re: [OM] flash and burned-out faces

Subject: Re: [OM] flash and burned-out faces
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 01:49:59 -0800
At 03:50 PM 12/13/2002 -0600, Paul wrote:
...> So what's the best way to achieve flash heaven w/ the OM4(T) and 54-MMZ
> combo, for
> 1) indoor flash, <--- just set the thing to TTL and try to bounce? I also
> bought a little diffuser cap...

You can do 3Ti tricks, but with auto control from the flash, not the
TTL sensor. You can't do this with OM flashes. The F280 has no auto
mode, and the T flashes' auto modes are far too powerful. The T32's
least powerful setting is f/11 at ISO 800, which would require a SS
of about 1/4s or so for proper balance.

Try several shots with flash ranging from 2 stops under ambient to
2 stops over. Each level has a different effect.

OK, I think I understand almost everything now and it is beginning to make sense, regarding this last sentence, do you mean: First, take a meter reading of the ambient light, say F4 at 1/30th. 1/30th is good since it is just below 1/60, the sync speed - then For "normal" balanced picture, just shoot w/ the Metz set to auto (and the aperture/zoom/ISO dial in since we are only using the lowly SCA321)

Then I can try shooting at different apertures, +1 at F2.8, +2 and F2, -1 at F5.6, and -2 at F8. Is this what you mean?

And for indoor flash, if the subject has no background to speak of (e.g. in the middle of a room), then I would use the exposure compensation on the Metz to dial in -1 to -2 correction, so the front will not be overexposed.

Do I have it right now?

Thanks all. I really appreciate all the comments so far. I am learning a lot!