Re: [OM] flash and burned-out faces

Subject: Re: [OM] flash and burned-out faces
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:00:33 +0100
I think that the best solution to this flash question is not a 35-SP, but
an iS-3000 (or an iS-3 if you can not get the is-3000 with super FP). To
quote e_SIF:

"All (iS) models have a built-in flash, some of them very powerful compared
to most SLR's. The flash system that is used is called IVP - Intelligent
Variable Power. This is a modern, enhanced variant of the good old
flashmatic system that can be found in rangefinder cameras from the
seventies, where you have to set the Guide Number (GN) of the flash on the
camera, and the camera determines the aperture dependent on shooting
distance (automatic GN calculations). The old flashmatic system has the
disadvantage that the flash always fires at full power and there is only
one aperture available once the shooting distance is determined. The
built-in flash of the iS cameras obviously is an electronic flash that can
be quenched, meaning the GN can be varied, allowing multiple apertures to
be selected for each distance. This makes IVP a strong alternative for TTL
flash exposure: the shooting distance is much more reliable than the
subjects reflectance. Very dark or very bright backgrounds or subjects
can't fool this system. Because both the flash duration (GN) and aperture
can be changed, the brightness of the subject can be taken into account.
This greatly facilitates Fill-in Flash, a special flash mode that's
available on all models in the Full Program Mode (the flash always fires
and the shutter speed is fixed at 1/100 sec). In other modes only Auto
Flash (the flash only fires when a shutter speed of 1/100 sec. or slower
can be achieved using available light) and Auto-S Flash (same as Auto Flash
but with red eye reducing pre-flashes) are available."

I take almost all my flash pictures withe an iS-3000 now. I often use an
extra G40 flash attached for bounce, and the built-in flash with
automatically-reduced strength for direct flash. However, even the built-in
flash on its own gives great results using IVP.

Roger Key, Denmark