RE: [OM] Doing your own B&W

Subject: RE: [OM] Doing your own B&W
From: "om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:38:01 -0500
This is my recommendation.  And I do my B&W developing and scan the
negatives.

- Stainless steel tank and reels, 4 or 2 reel tank.  I like SS as it is
more durable than plastic, but the plastic, back-and-forth-twist loading
reels are easier to use for someone just starting.  SS reels can be a pain
to load in the dark.  I recommend trying to load with junk film 5-10 times
before you commit an exposed roll of film.

- Changing bag for loading - Or you can use a closet.

- Chemicals - I typically use liquid chemistry - Ilford DDX, Kodak
Indicator Stop, Kodak Rapid fixer, Edwal HypoClear, Kodak PhotoFlo

- Measuring cylinders or pitchers - Buy top-quality plastic from a photo
store, durable and won't absorb chemistry.

- Timer - Can be anything, but a used GraLab 300 is perfect and easy to use.

- Dial Thermometer - get the temperature right, or it doesn't work well.

- Basic photo book - Go to a used book store and get a basic 1970s or 80's
photo how-to book.  It will have all the nuances on B&W developing.  It
hasn't changed much since then.

You should be able to get everything for $100.

Skip