Re: [OM] Developers - AAAAARRRGGGHH !

Subject: Re: [OM] Developers - AAAAARRRGGGHH !
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 07:19:33 +0000
Hey, hey Jon, calm, calm!  It will be OK!  Say OOOOOOOMMM ;-)

If it helps, I use ColourCare (see www.colourcare.co.uk) through my
local chemist and they are pretty quick (next day from before 0930).
More importantly for me, they process a 120 film for the same price
as 35mm and their quality is a better average than you seem to be
getting.

I got particularly bad service from Max Spielman (in Cambridge) some
months ago, so I sent the complete package to their head office in
Liverpool;  it only took them a month to send back decent set of
prints from my perfectly fine negatives.

I have had Minolta Scan Dual, a Scan Elite and now a Canoscan FS4000.
The Elite was good, but the FS4000 is more than I really need most of
the time.  You will not have been successful at your first go with a
scanner, because it does take some practice to get the settings right.

You would be able to buy a secondhand scan elite for about £300 GBP I
reckon (check the classifieds in AP).  A decent photo printer will
cost less than £200 GBP new.  I would offer to sell you my old Stylus
Photo 750, but I am still using it with my 1290.  The inks are pricey
for the proprietary brands, but much cheaper if you get generic
(whose performance is fine as far as I can make out, they just smell
different).

Good luck

Chris