[OM] Re: Macro/Reversing Ring/Macro Coupler

Subject: [OM] Re: Macro/Reversing Ring/Macro Coupler
From: "Charles Geilfuss" <cgeilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:25:59 +0000

Greetings Jon,
If I understand your post correctly, your friend wishes to mount a reversed 50mm lens in front of the N*k*n's built-in lens. This is easily done (in concept) with SLR's by simply connecting the two lenses nose-to-nose with a Macro Coupler. These can be made or purchased pretty cheaply. B&H sells them (pg. 67 current catalog) for about $8 and they come in different size combinations depending on the filter ring size of the lenses. Alternately for about the same price you can super-glue two step-up rings nose to nose to achieve the same thing. It is possible to achieve pretty dramatic magnifications (1:1 to 5:1) depending on the lenses you use. To calculate the magnification factor, divide the focal length of the rear lens by the focal length of the front lens eg. with a 100mm mounted on the camera body and a reversed 50mm mounted on front: 100/50=2:1 magnification. Getting good results is another matter since it is quite tricky to get a flat field across the full frame. Depth of field is non-exsistant. Lots of light and f32 is the order of the day at high mag. I have gotten some pretty good results but usually plan on cropping the edges of prints. This having been said, I don't know how you would reverse mount an SLR film lens to the front of a digital camera lens due to the size disparity. (I know, I just left a great opening for one of you wags) I have seen photos on PhotoSig that were done this way with digital cameras (non-SLR) but I believe they use a special reversed lens that is made for the smaller digital lenses. Anyone who knows differently, please set me straight.

Charlie Geilfuss