Re: [OM] Mind Bender (intermediate focal length?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Mind Bender (intermediate focal length?)
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:28:31 -0800
Exactly how I calculated my theoretical lens series.

Moose

John A. Lind wrote:

My Bad on my original posting of 150mm. I therefore retract it. For rectilinear lenses, Angle of View is directly proportional to the arctangent of the ratio of film dimension to focal length. Now that I've spewed the basic relationship out in text form that only a Mathematician or Physicist can decipher, here it is in equation form using ASCII characters:
  FOV = 2 * arctan( 0.5 * X / f )
    FOV = Field of View
    X = film dimension (can be horizontal, vertical or diagonal)
    f = lens focal length

To find a focal length for a specific field of view, rearrange this equation and the focal length for a particular film dimension and FOV becomes:
  f = 0.5 * X / [2 * tan( FOV / 2)]

Thus, for field of view, approximately 135mm is half-way between 100mm and 200mm.