Re: [OM] Tamron 28-200 zoom Field Guide

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 28-200 zoom Field Guide
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:25:32 -0800
I have the Model 71A and agree with whoever said the close focus isn't adequate. However, I also have the dedicated close-up adapter lens. It uses a bayonet mount on the outside of the front of the lens and is much more convenient than a generic screw-in model, lighter too, with its plastic mount. The lens is light enough to balance nicely on an OM body and really quite compact when zoomed in to 28mm.

I haven't done any serious comparison testing, but my feeling is that it isn't as good a lens as the Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5 or the Tamron SP 35-210/3.5-4.2 or fixed FL Zuikos. I've gotten some nice 4x6 shots from it, but some of them don't have quite the 'zip' I expected. Could be it's not particularly contrasty at some or all FLs. I do know flare knocks down contrast and saturation if it's pointed anywhere near the direction of the sun. Careful attention to shading helps. On the other hand, it's a pretty good lens and the focal range, size and weight are amazing.

Moose

Larry Woods wrote:

<>The model focusing only to 2 meters would not do for me. <>I would also be interested in hearing the experience of people who have used a 28-200mm zoom. How does its large diameter and weight (compared to Zuiko primes) affect camera handling?