Re: [OM] Tamron 28-200 zoom Field Guide

Subject: Re: [OM] Tamron 28-200 zoom Field Guide
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 00:47:24 +0100
Regarding the latest model 171A with internal focussing and 0.8m closest
focus, I did own one until quite recently. I bought it on eBay, and it was
shipped from England to Denmark. When I received it, it 'klunked'; sounded
like a loose internal element. It was repaired professionally, and the
technician told me that the lens construction was a bit weak, but he had
fixed it and stregthened it. I had no further troubles. It proved to be a
very useful lens, amazingly compact and lightweight. I could carry it
mounted to the camera in a pretty small bag. Performance-wise it seemed to
give a little barrel distortion at the wide end, but was otherwise fine.
I sold it because I find it much easier to focus a zoom with an f2.8 lens,
and I am tending towards shorter focal length lenses generally. But I would
highly recommend it otherwise; the light weight is really useful, and
compares well to Zuiko primes regarding general camera balance.

Regards/Mvh.,
Roger Key

Larry Woods wrote:

Replies so far:

"om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Is it for an OM body?  If so, more recent =3D better, IMO=2E

Yes, it is for OM.  I use an OM-1 and OM-2n, and occasionally an OM-PC.
The model focusing only to 2 meters would not do for me.

If I had the lens in hand, I could just check the focusing scale to
see that I had the newer model, but on *bay, what physical
distinguishing chatacteristics can I look for, or ask the seller for
if their picture isn't clear?

I would also be interested in hearing the experience of people who
have used a 28-200mm zoom.  How does its large diameter and weight
(compared to Zuiko primes) affect camera handling?  Do you still carry
a prime lenses, like an ultra-wide or a 50mm for low-light situations?

My intent is to carry the zoom instead of a bagful of lenses when
traveling and photography is not the purpose of the trip.

Thanks for any help you can provide.