Re: [OM] Mind Bender (intermediate focal length?)

Subject: Re: [OM] Mind Bender (intermediate focal length?)
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:03:59 -0800
Using simple trig to calculate the angle of view half way between 100mm and 200mm gives 133.2mm Starting with the 50mm lens, halving and doubling its 42.2 deg angle of view, then inserting angles of view half way between them gives the following result. The first column is the calculated angle of view. The second is the calculated focal length. the third is the focal lengths of the original series of Zuikos, before the super teles.

Angle       Focal Len.
 Deg.      Calc.    Act.
168.8        18       18
126.6        20       21
                      24
 84.4        27       28
 63.3        34       35
 42.2        50       50
 31.7        66       85
 21.1        98      100
 15.8       131      135
 10.6       196      200
  7.9       261      300
  5.3       391      400
  4.0       521      600
  2.6       782     1000

Remarkable agreement over the range of 18-200mm except for the insertion of the 24mm and the slightly long 85mm. Halfway between 126.6 and 84.4 deg. is 105.5 deg, or a 23mm lens. I would guess the move up from theoretical 66mm to 85mm is for the very non-mathematical purpose of portraits of people.

My conclusion? 135mm isn't oddball at all, but part of a mathematical sequence of angles of view!

Moose

AG Schnozz wrote:

I think this is a "modern math" thing.  If multiplications are
supposed to be rough multiples of focal length then why is 135mm
the oddball?  Hmm????