Re: [OM] Digital Camera fraud/false advertising

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Camera fraud/false advertising
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 09:56:19 -0800
In a message dated 11/27/2002 C.H.Ling writes:

<< Even there are hundreds of digital lab here in a small place, I still
using the traditional optical lab for my negative, I hate to see all
different films and lenses shots look the same with the digital lab.

I can surely see the different as I have tried many E10 4x6 output, they are
not as details as the shots from film and Zuiko. On the other hand I believe
a car racing shot from E10 and traditional film will look very close but you
should try a landscapes which has more details and it is a still shot that
can make most out of the film and lens. >>

While I respect your opinion very highly C.H., I respectfully disagree.
First off, I am not sure I agree there are different requirements for
motorsports work vs. landscape. Secondly, were I doing landscape work
seriously I would likely be using medium or large format cameras. That
aside...the high end of digital printing far exceeds the capabilities today
of traditional enlarging. For example:

http://www.calypsoinc.com/
http://www.westcoastimaging.com

Visit these two web sites. Examine their processes (they both only do their
high end gallery quality enlarging via digital processes now--Calypso was a
Cibachrome/Ilfochrome lab for many years by the way). Look at their client
lists (a who's who of renowned nature and landscape photographers). Either
one of these labs can and will extract more from your original slide and get
it onto larger paper than any traditional optical lab can do. In the case of
Calypso, they gave up the optical process with Ilfochrome because they are
able to offer even higher quality at larger print sizes this way. On the
printing side of things the future (digital) is now.

Where I do agree somewhat is the comparison of an E-10 vs.
OM/Zuiko/Film..somewhat. For a comparable focal length the E-10 is very
close in good light with the aperture in the "sweet spot" but that is very
limiting. Go wide angle or long telephoto and there's no comparison for
me--I'll keep shooting film, thanks. On the other hand, if I were to have a
windfall that would allow me to drop ~$12k or so on a Can*n 500/4 and EOS 1D
I think I could get results on digital that rival those I get now with the
OM-4T/Zuiko 350/2.8/1.4XA /Provia F 100 combo (if I could figure out how to
use the thing that is).

Traditional optical labs are going by the wayside because there already are
superior processes to extract the most from your negative or slide onto
paper.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com