Re: [OM] Digital Camera fraud/false advertising

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital Camera fraud/false advertising
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:31:16 -0800
In a message dated 11/25/2002 Albert writes:

<< Hand me a loupe, and the difference is clear, regardless how good the
printer is.

 4-6 megapixels, you can't tell on a 4x6....  But 2-3, I can...easily. >>

While using a loupe is not considered "normal viewing distance" for prints,
I suppose it is valid. However, on a typical 4x6 you likely won't see any
differences at all since almost all common 4x6 prints made today are from
digital files regardless of the source (film or digital). In other words,
the difference may not be as clear as you think.

A Can*n D30 is a ~3 megapixel camera. I would suggest that a 4x6 from a D30
is likely quite good. When shot with professional grade glass that D30 based
4x6 should be every bit as good as film.

My local pro lab no longer uses traditional enlargers for custom Type-R
enlargements. Rather, they use the same (Noritsu) machine and (Kodak) paper
that they use for their internet-based digital print services. This is not a
corner drug store lab. They are well known and respected, and ran
Cibachrome/Ilfochrome services for many years. If anything, the quality of
the Type-R custom enlargements they make today is better than ever. The
first time I picked up an 11x14 enlargement made from an E-10 (4 megapixel)
file I was also picking up a custom Type-R made off a Provia F (100) slide.
Now, we did not bust out the loupe, rather we view from what would be
considered a close viewing distance for an 11x14 (like a foot or so from the
print). The lab's store manager, the lab's owner, and I all looked and made
this comparison at the same time and we all three were stunned by how
comparable the quality was. Now, either all three of us have low standards
(as has been implied in this thread) or the claim of "fraud/false
advertising" is a bit blown out of proportion.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com