Re: [OM] Is 4x6 the real standard?

Subject: Re: [OM] Is 4x6 the real standard?
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 16:27:15 +0100
On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:00:19 +0800
"C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know some people like to show prints of 8x10 or 16x20. I have
> seen some older photo fans who took a dozen or two of 16x20 to show
> after coming back from a photo trip but it is rare for the younger
> one (ok, young means around 40),

Gee, thanks.....you made me feel really good there, for a second :)

> most of them shoot only slides and they are using loupe and light
> box to view the slides. When we gather together almost 90% are
> slides, I admitted we have only a few slide show done but people
> just not interested in print. I can say all people will tell you
> viewing slides are much much better than print, it shows the
> original quality of the film, lens and the shooting technique. For
> me print is only for family and family trip photos, I will not
> print hundreds of 8x10 for this purpose, a small album is good
> enough.

Well, I take slides, but also a large quantity of bw negatives. I
confess, that the majority of slides go projected, or simply
discarded before they go into the projector trays.

>From both slides and bw, I do find myself making prints. Why? Well, I
consider the creative process to be extending all the way from
selecting the scene with the camera through the darkroom and to
finding a suitable framing. Very often, I find that I need to
manipulate the printing process (burn-in etc.) to get the expression
I want from a given scene onto the print, and thus to convey the
sensation I want the viewer to share. There is no way I can do that
with a projected slide. Making the sky a little more dramatic,
dimming a grim shadow, making a distracting highlight disappear and
so on. Photorealim? Bah, it's not supposed to be realistic every time
:)

So I find that, much as I like slides, the medium alone is sometimes
not able to satisfy what I want :)

Ohh...and for making this kind of prints, 4x6 just doesn't cut it. My
hands are too big to be able to do selective exposure on such small
pieces of paper in the darkroom, and the effects are much nicer in
bigger.....much bigger, preferably.

But slides are nice, and I do take lots of those. I just sometimes do
not think that the process ends in the slide projector.

--thomas

> On the other hand I do run slide show for my own viewing, I enjoy
> it even without other looking at them. If I want more people to see
> them I will show them on my home page.
>
> C.H.Ling

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)