Re: [OM] sad day maybe...

Subject: Re: [OM] sad day maybe...
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 15:14:04 -0800
In a message dated 11/19/2002 Winsor Crosby  writes:

<< The big player now in digital camera sales is Sony. >>

I have always been a huge fan of Sony products in general and am an ex-Sony
employee so it is difficult for me to say bad things about them, but, their
track record for reliability and after sale service in digital camera is
less than stellar, or so I am told (and despite that I gather they are #1 in
digital camera sales volume).

<< It seems reasonable that if electronics corporations move into cameras
some
traditional companies will be displaced. >>

Define "traditional." Kyocera (Nik*n) and Can*n are electronics giants in
their own rights already.

<< Kodak seems to be showing some surprising signs of life too. >>

Let's hope that life is as a 4/3 partner ;-)

<< Sigma may surprise everyone if it continues to be the exclusive purveyor
of the Foveon chip. >>

I just read a very disparaging in-depth review on the Sigma DSLR. 2 FPS with
a six shot buffer that makes an E-10 look fast. Not very good results from
the Foveon chip after all the hype. Not embraced by the professional market
at all. Looks doomed for failure to me. To be honest, I really didn't expect
much from S(t)igma.

<< It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. >>

That it will be, and it is far from shaking out at this point.

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com