Re: [OM] sad day maybe...

Subject: Re: [OM] sad day maybe...
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:00:48 -0800
In a message dated 11/19/2002 Bill Clark writes:

<long DPreview.com forum post snipped>

<< If this is true (and Olympus will not have an SLR for some time) then I
think "our" company will kick the bucket.  I hope not, but they just cannot
seem to get their act together. >>

My thoughts on this appear in the thread in question at dpreview.com ;-)

To summarize, who cares?! If the E-10/20 wind up being orphans it really has
no bearing whatsoever on the future of Olympus or the 4/3 system. In fact,
it could be because they are investing R&D resources into the future (4/3
DSLR system) that the E10/20 system is being discontinued and not advanced.

There appear to be a large and growing contingent of digital gadget freaks
who embraced the E series early on who are very quick to cast it aside in
favor of the latest mondo-pxel wonder. These folks are, for the most part,
not photographers in the traditional sense of the word.  They are easy to
spot in a crowd too--I see them in growing numbers in spectator areas of
race tracks with their ultra-expensive D1 and EOS 1D bodies and garbage
lenses attached (because the body was all they could afford/justify and the
lens doesn't matter anyway--right?).

I still have confidence (in Olympus) and hold out hope (for the 4/3 system).
If for no other reason, I really don't want to have to move to Can*n ;-)

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com