Re: [OM] taken from the Maitani site....

Subject: Re: [OM] taken from the Maitani site....
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 05:38:40 +0800
The ccd is small, so Olympus thought they can go ahead and put out a new AF + smaller lens set. The problem is, C*non and N*kon take advantage of the fact that quite a few people have their lenses already, the real $$$$ in a camera system.

Olympus however doesn't have an AF system (please don't say they do, I know about the OM-AF, it was POS) So they thought they can start brand new. I don't know about this strategy, but they seem pretty much trying to capture the lower end of the user spectrum, instead of aiming for the prosumer part. This makes me sad. Another one of my complaints about the Olympus digital line is the use of smart media. CF will take a microdrive, which means 1gig options vs. only a 128Meg limit. That's a huge difference. What is stopping me from recommending Olympus C series cameras to people is that. Higher prices for memory and less of it in an easier to break, less compatible package.

The camera media wars will come to an end in 4 years, only 1 will be left standing. I think Sony's Memory sticks are great, but again, same problem. CF has it right, the microdrives make it far more attractive IMHO.

Albert