Re: [OM] taken from the Maitani site....

Subject: Re: [OM] taken from the Maitani site....
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 12:29:34 -0800
October 2002

Hiroyuki Watanebe from Olympus Japan commented on the recent development
of Olympus digital cameras during his visit to Hong Kong in late October
2002. (Based on an article from a Hong Kong computer magazine Hi-Tech
Weekly No. 212.)

A simplified version of CAMEDIA C5050ZOOM will be available in the near
future. Compact digital camera of higher resolution is under
development.

The first batch of the Four Thirds System digital SLRs will be released
by Olympus, Fujifilm and Kodak respectively. The cameras adopt a
standard lens mount and image sensor of the same size. Lenses from
different manufacturers are interchangeable.This increases the choice of
lenses available. To shorten development time, the optical design of the
OM System lenses will be modified for use in the Four Thirds System.

I wonder what happened to the line that older OM lenses were not suited
to digital?

Bob Gries

Since the chip is less than half the size of a 35mm frame, I would take that with a grain of salt.

I wonder what happened to Fuji's arrangement with Nikon. Maybe Nikon did not like being bested? Or is Fuji going to produce two system cameras side by side? That raises the question of whether the Oly compatible one will be the consumer grade model. Certainly it will be so for Kodak with their super new 12 megapixel slr. I feel worse and worse for Oly. It is fast becoming irrelevant with each new decision it makes. But it has been going on for a long time.
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California