RE: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5

Subject: RE: [OM] 50mm f2 vs 3.5
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 14:05:17 -0800 (PST)
J.T. wrote:
>You're a family man, Schnozz...  you need that RX-8.  And, I
>must say, you're a far better man than I fitting all three in
>your garage, especially considering the size of at least two
>of them.  My hat's off to you.

I figure that you can probably slide in five or six cars in the
garage of your new digs, Jim.

Believe it or not, the PPM (primary people mover), known as a
Mazda MPV isn't all that large.  It's tall and wide, but not
that long.  Back in January, it spent the better part of a month
getting new front/back ends.  Somebody rear-ended it at about 35
mph and pushed it into the van in-front.  $4900 later...
Anyway, the insurance company provided us with a Dodge Intrepid.
 Other than looking like an oversized squashed bug in the
garage, it forced me to move the lawnmower and camping gear as
it is HUGE in comparison to the MPV.  Hated that car, we were
never so glad as to have the MPV back--especially since it's 4wd
and it was winter.  (We live in a hilly subdivision and we like
to venture out DURING snow-storms for entertainment).

The Jeep Cherokee isn't very big either.  In fact, it's almost
identically sized to a BMW 3-series car.  Just taller and able
to take the short-cuts.  BMWs are forced to take the curves,
with the Jeep, I've got options.

The Mazda RX-7 is probably the finest example of
automotive-camera parallels.  Olympus and Mazda produced
products capable of pleasing the handling nuts.  When it comes
to handling characteristics, Mazdas are for performance.  My MPV
is a dog as far as acceleration is concerned, but boy does it
handle!  Think tall, heavy sports car!  Perfectly balanced, but
deparately needing another 200 HP.  The RX-7, no longer
available in USA, is a rocket-ship!  It had style, handling, and
ergonomics.  The second-generation RX-7 is one very comfy car.
I'm 6'4" and I fit in the RX-7 perfectly.  I loved driving that
88 convertable.  Brakes were excellent too.  I would sail down
the street to work at 70 mph and hit the brakes while
downshifting about fifty feet from the driveway.  RPMs that went
forever...  Rotary engines RULE!  Cornering, WOW!  But watch
that mid-engine'd rear-axle break--she'll pop around on you in a
heart-beat and when you're doing 70+...

Alas...  Back to regularily scheduled progamming.

AG-Schnooz