Re: [OM] Fill-flash (oh no, not again!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Fill-flash (oh no, not again!)
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 11:12:48 +0100
Mickey,
I think you misunderstood a few of my points here. I have not endorsed the use of the OM-2 as a flash camera. The original question posed to me was about slow sync with TTL, and while thinking about this I found a solution *not* involving the OM-2. Wayne H. has come up with a more general solution for this, so I'm left in the dust.

However, a side effect of the double-camera solution is very interesting. Think about two cameras (with lenses) pointed at an object. You decide you want to have 1:1 flash and ambient. Set both cameras to auto, same aperture, same ISO. Set flash on one of the cameras, and set compensation on that camera to 1 stop under. Fire both cameras at once. Voila, the exposing camera integrates light OTF untill correct exposure has been reached, and during exposure a flash contributes half the wanted light. Here I've deliberately omitted that the ambient will also be measured by the flash camera (1/60 of it), so highest accuracy will be for dimmer ambient lighting.

You could accomplish the same thing with Normal Auto, IF you point the flash (or rather sensor) straight at the subject. You could also accomplish the same thing IF you always knew the effective guide number of the flash (Read: IF you own a flash meter). Personally I think there's a lot more people owning two or more bodies on this list than there are people owning flash meters!

Thomas Bryhn