Re: [OM] Fill-flash (oh no, not again!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Fill-flash (oh no, not again!)
From: "Mickey Trageser" <vze3m2s8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 00:01:29 -0500
This is an interesting thought, but I get hung up on the fact that the OM2
will establish a flash to ambient light ratio that will exist to be exposed
by any other camera at the same instant. On the other camera, you can adjust
the overall exposure  by aperture or film speed, but you still have the same
balance. You still don't get control of that balance at the other camera.
But you can control the balance at the taking camera by calculating the
exposure by filmspeed, guide number and distance. You can reposition the
flash without recalculating in order to intensify or diminish the amount of
light the flash contributes to the scene. But you do all this without TTL.

I don't see how going through the trouble to set up the OM2 as a TTL drone
is any easier/better than calculating exposures, using a flash meter, or
using a non TTL flash setting and counter-adjusting the aperture as needed.
I believe that any of the OM cameras will fire a flash on a PC cord at any
speed of 1/60 or less.

Frankly, the fact that the OM2 in TTL flash mode will keep the shutter open
until it's hunger for light is satisfied, is a negative in my book. I've
lost too many images because the flash was too short and the shutter too
long. For that reason, I've removed the shoe from the OM2 and only use it
for available light shooting, at which it excels, or with manual off camera
flash.

TTL flash is wonderful for portable on-site on-demand flash control built in
to the camera and flash. It's far more reliable that the on flash non TTL
auto modes. At its introduction the OM2 TTL flash was a breakthrough. But
the OM TTL flash system is not designed to support fill flash, so it's all
manual and semi-automated workarounds. But I deal with it as I need to. For
me, I put auto fill flash and its variants in the wonderbrick culture. I
don't need it, and it's not going to lure me away from the system I use.

I really like the thought process here. If someone gets this idea going, I
look forward to hearing about it.

-Mickey