Re: [OM] grain/scanner question

Subject: Re: [OM] grain/scanner question
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 02:33:16 -0800
Hard to tell without a size reference. What portion of the original film image is on your post? As C.H. says, you can determine whether it is a film or scanning problem by viewing the slide directly with a 20-30x loupe and comparing the granularity on the film to the scan.

Problems with odd patterns in ink-jet prints can often be due to using a fixed print size such that the number of pixels in the image has to be interpolated to the printer dpi at a ratio that isn't a simple integer. Lets say you ask your printer driver to print a 4000 pixel wide image at 8 inches wide on a 1440 dpi printer. The printer driver then has to interpolate 4,000 pixels into 11,520 pixels. Each orignal image pixel beomes 2.88 printer dots. No algorithm can do that without having an adverse impact on the resulting image. The same image sized in the image editor at 480 dpi, with the exact printed size allowed to fall where it may, will look much better. Printing without taking this issue into consideration can lead to frustrating, apparently random, differences in print quality between prints of differently cropped images from the same roll of film.

Moose

C.H.Ling wrote:

For a 4000dpi scan I think it is normal, even 2700dpi scan will show grain,
I think it is film grain. Use a 20x lupe directly on the slide you will also
see this.

Hiya all - here's a small selection from a picture I scanned in
<http://www.dragonsgate.net/pub/richard/enlarge.jpg>. Scanner DPI 4000,
film Provia 400F, exposure unrecorded, most like the 90/2. Anyway, the
"pattern" that is on the picture. Is that the film grain? Just the way the
film is? Bad development? Bad scanner? Bad color profile? Or what? When I
print large pictures like this (8x10), I see things like that a lot on the
inkjet prints, whereas the smaller prints are smoother. Am I just hitting
some limitations, or am I missing in some areas?