Re: [OM] Fisheye

Subject: Re: [OM] Fisheye
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 03:30:01 +0800
Hmm. That's something I forgot about, the "telephoto" effect of the digital SLR's...

I don't know if you all have seen it; "The Dog" as it's called; basically pictures of large headed dogs, done with a fisheye; the asians love it...

Well, a lot of people here in Taiwan wanted me to do the same for their pet.. So... thus the need for fisheye..

I would love to take full advantage of digital, and take the pics, show it to them on the laptop; if they like it, burn a CD and charge them money for it.. If I have to print them, then I won't get paid until they see the prints; and then I might not get paid at all if they are unhappy... With digital, the instant feedback and instant retake is and advantage (not to mention, no printing costs) is something that would seriously eat into the profit of doing this...

Suggestions?
Albert

OM4Ti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Albert,
Super wide angle is one of the drawbacks of digital photography. With the
smaller sensor size (2/3") of the digital cameras currently on the market, a
normal lens is 13mm. Most digitals are not marked with their actual focal
length, they are marked with the 35mm equivalent. This is why the new 4/3"
sensors are going to be such a good thing, wides and super wides can be
created.

I use my E10s and E20 quite a bit where wide angle is not an issue I also
keep a C-720UZ in the car with me. When I do photography for real-estate I
use the OM4Ti and 18mm or 21 mm Zuikos for the interior shots and then scan
the results on a Sprint Scan 4000.

As to fisheyes, a 8mm Zuiko in excellent condition goes for over $1000 used.
This is a supply and demand thing. The 8mm Zuikos are used in the VR field
and production stopped on them many years ago.
Mark