Re: [OM] Fisheye

Subject: Re: [OM] Fisheye
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 15:12:32 -0800
on 11/3/02 10:17 AM, Albert at olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I need to do some pics in a semi-studio environment (makeshift studio)
> with a fisheye perspective.
>
> How much is a fisheye gonna set me back???
>
> Is there such a thing as "cheap" fisheyed lenses from any maker??

I got one of those "0.42x fisheye adapters" in a kit with some other
stuff... I haven't taken any pictures with it, but looking through it is
pretty cool. With a 50mm lens it achieves a faux 'full-frame fisheye'
effect, with a 28mm lens you get the full round circle, though it doesn't
look to me like its a 180-degree hemisphere image. I suspect that it isn't
very sharp at the edges unless you stop down pretty good, but I'm going to
play with it sometime just to see what I get.

> They also wanted it done in digital, so now I'm going to have to
> consider N*kon and C*non...  Probably would rather get a Fuji S2 or
> whatever their digital SLR is.

I think Nikon has a fisheye auxiliary lens for some of their digicams, but
its about $200... I don't know why you couldn't use the cheaper 0.42x
adapter on a digicam with the right adapter rings... the one I've got has a
Series 6 thread on the back, and I just so happened to have 49mm-Series 6
and 55mm-Series 6 rings <g>. But the adapter rings are pretty widely
available.

> So I need a digital SLR, and a fisheye...  Am I gonna need a serious loan??
>
> Albert

You could use the OM, cheap adapter lens, and then scan the negatives. You
can buy a pretty good scanner -and- the cheapo 0.42x adapter for what a good
digicam and fisheye auxiliary lens will run...
--

Jim Brokaw