Re: [OM] Trip recomendations in general?

Subject: Re: [OM] Trip recomendations in general?
From: Paul Wallich <pw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:13:40 -0500
At 2:18 PM -0700 10/29/02, Daniel J. Mitchell wrote:

current itinerary is:

Wow! Congratulations!

Calgary -> Vancouver on Greyhound, hang out there. This part of the trip,
at least, I know what's what.
Vancouver -> Portland on Greyhound.

Rent car in Portland for a few days, see the coast. Any tips for things to
see here? Julia used to take trips down there with her family when she was
younger, so she's got things she wants to show me -- is there stuff inland
as well?

Back onto the bus again, on south to LA. Here, the bus is a bit inland, not
right along the coast; my US geography's pretty sketchy -- obviously,
there's stuff along the way, but is there anything I should be sure not to
miss?

Not a damn thing on the inland route between san francisco and LA, unless you really
adore making compositions out of above-ground irrigation sprinklers.

LA, see Disneyland. Plenty of photo ops here, I'm sure..

Make sure you have you haze filters, and give Disneyland a miss unless you
absolutely must -- there's a little bit of trip shooting, but mostly it's
depressing.

LA -> Hawaii, stay in hostel in Hawaii, go see whatever we can get to;
buses, most likely, because car rental is going to be pretty expensive.

Which island? If it's just oahu, there are some things to see once you get away
from honolulu. (And the palace is kinda nice in a pleasant way) But much of the
spectacular scenery is on other islands, particularly the Big Island and Maui (although I am fond of Kauai). If it's the Big Island, go see the volcanos and both coasts and take a Mauna Kea observatory tour, and generally go wild... Be aware that it gets dark underneath tree cover, so you'll be needing that tripod. And also expect not
to be able to get very close to some sights (especially if you get near lava).

Hawaii -> New Zealand on cruise liner. I don't think there's a lot of photo
ops on the ship (though I may be wrong -- presumably sunset/sunrise over the
ocean should be worth watching out for); this stops off at Tahiti, Moorea,
and Bora-Bora on the way, so beaches, Polynesian culture, etc -- anyone got
any specifics I should see there?

Arrive in NZ, first stop at Tauranga, finally get off the boat at Auckland.

That's about as far as we're planning in detail right now; we've got
temporary working visas for NZ, so the current idea is to hang out doing bar
work/dishwashing/fruit picking or something equally generic to pay the rent,
and in general hang out in NZ seeing stuff.

There's a lot of NZ, though, and we're planning on being there for some
months; once I get down there, we'll get email sorted out somehow and I'll
be back asking for more info..

Good luck, and enjoy! All my kiwi friends have the nicest thingsto say about the place...

--
Paul Wallich                                            pw@xxxxxxxxx