RE: [OM] Trip recomendations in general?

Subject: RE: [OM] Trip recomendations in general?
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:43:02 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 17:10, "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> Depending on which route the bus takes.  This part could be very
>> boring, and LONG.  Are you sure you wouldn't want to fly from
>> Portland down to LA?  Airfare is only about $40/person, not much
>> more than bus tickets.

> Really? Where? Looking on orbitz.com, they start at $203/person;
>travelocity at $210, cheaptickets.com, $205/person. If there's somewhere I'm
>not looking that I should be, I'd love to know about it -- I've just looked
>on the 'big name' sites thus far.

Sorry, I guess the cheap fare is only within California.  The thing
is that there are many airports around the greater Los Angeles area,
and the fare into the different airports are different.  The main
Los Angeles airport is LAX (Los Angeles International), but there is
also Ontario (ONT), Burbank (BUR), Orange County (SNA) airports,
just to name a few.  So sometimes it is cheaper to fly into a nearby
airport instead of heading for the main airport.

> Checking, the routing's (assuming I'm guessing which ones are the main
>stops correctly) Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, Eugene, Medford, Redding,
>Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno, Bakersfield, LA.  Definitely along the middle
>of California, now that I check on a map. Hmm.

If time permits, you may want to take a detour out to the San
Francisco Bay Area.  It is about half-way between Portland and LA,
so it will be a good place to take a break.  Just a thought.

> Sorry, I should have thought of that, of course. We'll be in a hostel in
>Waikiki for the first 10 days; from there, the boat stops off at Lahaina on
>Maui for a couple of days, and Hilo for one day before it heads off to the
>emptier bits of the Pacific.

There isn't very much that I can say about Waikiki, but according to
AAA (the American Automobile Association), the beach front has been
revised and made much more attractive.  Other things to do would be
the typical touristy stuff: Pearl Harbor, Pali Lookout, PunchBowl
National Cemetary, Diamond Head, etc.  By all means, take a trip out
to the north side of the island (the Polynisian Culture Center is out
that way -- but be warn that it is yet another tourist trap like
Disneyland).  There are a lot of Chinese and Japanese in Honolulu, so
if your timing is right, there are sometimes festivals that you can
join in.

Have fun.  Enjoy your honeymoon.
        -Dan