Re: RE: RE: [OM] 4 layer films

Subject: Re: RE: RE: [OM] 4 layer films
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:10:32 -0700 (PDT)
>superia (i did note super hq looked awful after shooting
>superia)--in fact, i think it is sometimes too contrasty and
>saturated. maybe it is the processor? old chemicals?

Family pictures are shot on Fuji 4-pack 100 speed film from
Waaaal-maaaart.  Super HQ?  Anyway, It ALWAYS prints hot.  Pinks
turn nuclear, skin tones are a bit washed out and, well, it's
just plain obnoxious.

Until I changed labs.  Turns out that our local Waaaaal-maaaart
1-hour lab does this Fuji film justice.  The paper is less
contrasty and they must have the right film channels dialed into
the printer.  My wife even says "WOW!" at the difference.

It is critical that some films (Portra VC included) be printed
on normal or soft contrast paper.  Labs that use the highest
contrast paper (including the Kodalux labs) just blow the film
out.

I discovered that the film was better than the prints were
indicating when I started scanning the negs.  A huge difference,
there actually is color in skin!

Anyway, Waaaaaaaaaaal-maaaaaaaaaaaart is cheeper too.

AG