RE: [OM] More Mt. Rainier Photos

Subject: RE: [OM] More Mt. Rainier Photos
From: "James N. McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 16:06:30 -0600
Taking this kind of pictures makes me appreciate how hard the pros work to
make high quality images in this type of environment. When someplace as a
tourist you have to take whatever conditions exist at the time. When on a
serious assignment you can scout the vantage points ahead of time and plan
to be there when the light and atmospheric conditions are optimum. Many of
the best images are made in times of unsettled weather such as impending
storms or breaking storms that create wonderful atmospheric conditions. That
means you need to be there when the weather is bad and wait for these
beautiful fleeting moments. It takes a lot of patience and time to
consistently get exceptional images. Sometimes we get lucky though and just
happen to be someplace at the right time....so it's important to always have
the camera at hand.

Dealing with the extremes of light and dark was mastered well by Galen
Rowell. He preferred to use graduated neutral density filters. I frequently
don't take pictures because I know the film will not be able to capture the
same range my eye can see. I have the ability to dodge and burn in the dark
room but it takes a lot of time and work. Photoshop and other image
management tools can now do that with digitized images with much less work.
For those tools to work well the image needs to be exposed such that enough
detail can be brought out in the shadowed areas. This is one place the spot
metering system excels.

Even as tourists, we can make better images if we are always conscious of
the management of light and resist the urge to just take snapshots.

/jim