[OM] More Mt. Rainier Photos

Subject: [OM] More Mt. Rainier Photos
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 02:35:11 EDT
Hi Zuiks,

I posted a couple more pics for the two Jims. :-)

One, a closeup of the Clark's Nuthatch, and the other, of the mountain
itself.  Also, a couple wildflower shots.  I feel bad that I don't know the
names of them.  Indian paintbrush (the red ones)?

The bird was TOUGH.  He would move about every five seconds, trying to catch
the attention of the mom, dad, and daughters eating crackers and cheese to my
left.  He was looking for a handout.  That's what his attention is focused
on.  That food.  I probably could have taken 20 more shots with a
wunderbrick, but...?  I'm not really happy with this pic, either, but I was
grabbing what opportunities I got.

I'm disappointed in the exposure of the mountain (and this is the best of
several, sad to say).  It WAS a hot and hazy day.  I was in t-shirt at 7,000
feet.  So it wasn't Ansel Adams conditions.  But still, how do I get the
bright mountain & sky properly exposed without losing the foreground forest
in darkness?  One fella suggested a graduated ND filter.  Any other ideas?
Bracket like crazy?  There is such a wide range of exposure difference
between all that snow & ice and the dark green of the forest below, it's a
REAL challenge.  I should have used a UV filter at least.  Better a
polarizer.  That would have helped, as I was 90 degrees from the sun.  NOW I
think of it!

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=244547

More feedback welcome.  Sock it to me.

Rich