Re: [OM] OM-2's -- who needs 'em?

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2's -- who needs 'em?
From: "Julian Davies" <julian_davies@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 18:27:21 +0100
>It's been too quiet around here lately, so consider this, all you OM-2
>lovers:

>What's with this obsession some of you have with the OM-2S?  Or with any
>OM-2, for that matter.

These are way different beasts! the 2s should really have been called
OM4Lite+. Doesn't read as well though.

> I've got an OM-1N, simplicity and elegance
>personified.

Agreed. Hard not to.

I've got an OM-3, essentially a 1 with the brain of a 4.

Ah, but it doesn't *USE* it's brain, does it? You have to. Still a great
camera. Mine's too good to use. Shouldn't have bought it, but there you go.

>I've got six 4's, three plain, three of the T suffix sort, and these are
>the bodies I use most.

Same here (apart from quantity)

> Three of them I've had since 1984, and there's been
>nary a problem.  (Believe it or not, not even a CLA, although I'm
>considering sending them off to John or Clint this winter.)

>Every time I think about having one of each of the single-digit OM bodies
>and getting a 2, I decide against it, because it seems to be neither fish
>nor fowl.  To me, it's either an OM-1 with stuff you don't need or an OM-4
>without all the stuff you want.

But in historical context.....

How often do you need the extras a 4 has to offer?
Think of the advantages of the practically unrestricted shutter time on pre-
n 2. If you have fresh enough batteries, it'll photograph anything with a
few photons bouncing off it.
How about slow - sync TTL flash? not second - curtain however.
How about a TTL autocord socket where the cord actually stays locked in?
Think of it the other way round. Imagine a 4 less some things you don't
really need but with the wind - on action of a 1.
Clearest viewfinder of the lot (don't forget that the 2 series screen only
recovers the light you lose from the semi - mirror).
CHEAP(er) . I would happily take the 2 to places where the 4ti will never,
ever go. I'll leave it in the boot of the car, without worrying about
whether my insurance covers me for full value etc. I've been conducting some
experiments with Polaroid I-zone film with my "beater" 2. Would I let those
chemicals get within 10 feet of the 4? No.
With the dropping of the system, cheap takes on a whole new meaning. For the
cost of your 6 OM4s, you could have bought enough OM2s to last the rest of
anyone's lifetime.

Having said all that, when it comes to the main camera, mine's a 4ti.

Julian