[OM] RE: OM-3T vs...

Subject: [OM] RE: OM-3T vs...
From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 23:10:08 -0700
I was going to just email Skip privately but since Moose asked his excellent questions, I thought I will post this here, for the list advice -

One thing though, I probably won't buy an OM-3T anyway as I generally don't use manual exposure mode. I use the spot metering mode but found generally the AE exposure is a great help... Before I go on, I should fully admit that I understand it is the photographer who makes the pictures, not the tools. I just finished taking 3 rolls of slides, and doggone it, out of 36x3 pictures, at least 4 are mis-exposed because I still did not realize the backlight situations. I caught most of them, and use the spot meters. Those 4 though, I didn't think it is a problem but turns out I was wrong. If I were smarter, I would have use the spot metering anyway but those grabshots, the expressions are so fleeting. Fiddle a bit more, and the moment is gone :-(

May be I should explain what I do :-) Mainly I take (snap-)shots and informal "portraits" of my kids. We do hiking/travelling when we can, so I do some amount of landscape / travel / insect macros pics. We also go to (a lot of) Science Fiction and Japanese Anime conventions where we and the participants wear costumes a lot. Some of these costumes are quite amazing, rivaling the best anywhere. So of course I take a lot of pictures in those events too.

In fact, I just bought some Studio Flash and setup in the hope that I would eventually set up something in those venues that I can take professional looking photos for the costumers. I will probably have to go digital on that route as immediate print out on a dye sub printer would be a huge plus (hence I am disappointed at the non-announcement of the Olydak). The goal is not to make money per se, just something I am interested in doing. When some costumes literally take 3-4 months of intensive work to plan and make, it is a shame that most photos are of snapshot qualities.

So.....the OM system will get pretty far - I may need a digital system to do the convention portraits that I mentioned. So why the Leica at all? Don't know, probably for the "Leica glow," whatever it is. I used to do B&W when I was in high school. Roaming around New York City w/ my FM. Perhaps I want to do more of the same, the spontaneous people shots..... The quiet shutter is appealing....

Well thanks for the advice and listening. Looking forward to hear more of the sagely advices from you guys.