Re: [OM] Opinions wanted. I know y'all have some.

Subject: Re: [OM] Opinions wanted. I know y'all have some.
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 23:08:22 -0700
on 10/9/02 12:58 PM, Walt Wayman at hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I pose a hypothetical question.  Assume the following facts to be true.
>
> We have for consideration two camera bodies, an OM-4Ti and an OM-3Ti.  The
> condition of each is in the "like new" to "mint minus" area.  The OM-4Ti is
> champagne; the OM-3Ti is the usual charcoal.  There appears to be some
> heightened interest on the part of the owner of the OM-3Ti to obtain an
> OM-4Ti of the champagne persuasion.  There is the normal, somewhat
> obsessive desire on the part of the owner of the champagne OM-4Ti (who has
> other OM-4s of the T and Ti variety) to obtain an OM-3Ti, since he doesn't
> have one.

I'll play... I can even match the situation exactly. Are there two people
out there wanting to trade away OM-3Ti's?

> Question one:  What is the difference in the value of the two cameras?

Hmmm... auction prices from memory, conditions assumed to be 'excellent +++
to mint' I make the champagne 4Ti to be about $450-$500 (for some reason
these seem to sell for less than the black ones) and the 3Ti to be about
$1200 or so. Difference ~$750...

> Question two:  All things considered, why is the OM-3Ti supposedly worth
> more than the OM-4Ti?

Age? Coolness of color? Rarity? The champagne 4Ti's came first, they were
discontinued in what -- 1992? 1993? The 3Ti was introduced later, so it
would -have- to be newer... of course this might not matter as much as the
usage for the actual units could still be less for the older camera. Other
than the OM-2000 the 3Ti is the only OM in that cool "Charcoal" color... I
suspect that having been on sale for only a few years, and being purely
mechanical that many fewer 3Ti's were made/sold than 4Ti's. Its probably the
lowest production quantity OM of all... (not counting the M-1).

> Question three:  Assuming a fellow already has a perfectly good OM-3, is it
> worth giving up a OM-4Ti to get an OM-3Ti?

If you have an OM-3 and at least two OM-4Ti's, then yes, because you don't
have the 3Ti yet. You need to have it ALL. No question about this. Besides,
there are more 4Ti's out there than 3Ti's... so it will be easier to get
another one should you need two again.

> Question four:  Will any opinions expressed in response to these questions
> have any bearing on my decision?

Well, if you were hypothetically like Richard and had 'too much money' (are
we in the Twilight Zone...? I hear music...) you can get the 3Ti anyway. If
you need to trade for it, you still need to do it, as its easier to backfill
and get another 4Ti later. So you don't have a decision here, just a
preordained course of action...

> Walt

Glad I could help... sheesh! What kind of question is this?? Of *course* you
need it all... <g>
--

Jim Brokaw