Re: [OM] analog and digital

Subject: Re: [OM] analog and digital
From: Benson Honig <benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 02:18:25 +0200
OK, I'm not certain, but I think the answer to the "how many pixels can
dance on the head of a pin" question is either 1) depends on the size of
the pin head or 2) provided somwhere in the density units provided below....

Also, just in case anyone happens to have an unwanted 2-4 screen they want
to sell, please let me know off-list.

Benson

>From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [OM] analog and digital

>It isn't too important to me how many pixels can dance on the
>head of a pin, or whether Fuji or Kodak film is better for this application

>The number 12 is 1000 times the rms (root mean square) variation in the
measured density, >so what they are saying is that the average density is
1.000 and the standard deviation >around that is 0.012 in density units
(the base ten logarithm of the transmittance), for a >48-micron aperture.

>So, translating into a language somewhat closer to English, the average
transmittance is >0.10 (that is, 10%), and 680f the density samples fall
in the range 0.1028 to 0.0973 >(10.3% to 9.73%) transmittance.

Benson Honig Ph.D.
University of Haifa
Graduate School of Business
Tel: 972-4-8249582