Re: [OM] analog and digital

Subject: Re: [OM] analog and digital
From: "Dave Dougherty" <davdou@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:32:54 -0700
>Ian Manners wrote: As far as I'm concerned, its like religion, its personal
BUT as
long as the person enjoys taking the photo, enjoys looking
at the photo, and the photo has some meaning to someone
then who cares !<

I wholeheartedly agree!  The enjoyment I get from photography is from the
end result.  It isn't too important to me how many pixels can dance on the
head of a pin, or whether Fuji or Kodak film is better for this application
or that.  Rather, how do I feel and those I show the photo to feel when it
is viewed.

I don't have the room in my home for the luxury of a B&W darkroom.  I have
all but given up in disgust at the lack of quality and consistency at the
one-hour labs and the cost of having film processed at a pro lab.

Our family is gifted with two wonderful grandchildren.  Forgive me for being
what may sound a little silly about this.  I have transitioned to digital
for the family photos.  The family is thrilled at the results.  I can, and
regularly do take photos of the children that are quite a cut above the
ususal snapshot.  My wife prints them out on archival level inkjet media and
they are distributed to the family that way.  Additionally, we email the
photos and share the family moments.

We can corp and manipulate the photos in Photoshop.  They are not bland or
souless.  They are vibrant and filled with the wonder and awe at the world
showing in the face of my beautiful grand daughter.  They bring joy to my 84
yr. young Mother-in-law.

Digital has facilitated this for us.  It's about the results.

Dave Dougherty