[OM] analog and digital

Subject: [OM] analog and digital
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:34:58 -0400
William Sommerwerck wrote:

>Your friend is wrong. He doesn't know what he's talking about.
>
>I reviewed hi-fi equipment for over a decade. One of the
>stupidest remarks I ever heard (and continue to hear) was
>the statement that good digital devices "sound [more] like
>analog." As far as sound reproduction is concerned, an
>amplifier or recorder isn't supposed to "sound like"
>anything -- it's supposed to sound like nothing at all.
>That is, it should have no identifiable character of its own.
>The proper reference is not analog or digital, but live sound.

<<<SNIP>>>

Well, Mr. Sommerwerck, I've thought for quite a while your name seemed
familiar.  Now I know why, and the cc to J. Gordon Holt confirms my
suspicions: You're THAT Bill Sommerwerck, the one who used to write for
Stereophile, a publication even more evil and enabling than the folks on
this list.  I don't know which I've spent more money on -- audio or
photography gear.  Fool that I am, though, I'm still on this list and still
a Stereophile subscriber, and much the poorer for it.  I just finished
hooking up my new Philips 1000 SACD/DVD player.  Now there's a real $1000
bargain!  Sounds great right out of the box.  Just wait till it settles in
after a week or two.

Walt Wayman